Personalised Nutrition Based On Your DNA
Your genetics loads the gun. Your lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Have you ever questioned why some people can manage on a less than best diet while others are more sensitive? Each person’s DNA is different, so a diet that works for one person may not work for you. While we can’t control our genes themselves, we can affect their expression, i.e. whether they’re likely to get “switched on” or off.
Information on isolated genes is not predictive of disease; it is the combination of genes, environment, diet, and lifestyle that influence our health. This is nutrigenomics.
Factors that shape the expression of genes include:
- nutrient deficiencies or excesses
- dietary components (e.g. omega-3 fats, phytoestrogens, cruciferous vegetables, carotenoids and more)
- toxins (e.g. pollution, plastics, pesticides, heavy metals and more)
- bacteria and viruses
- alcohol, medication, and drugs
- circadian rhythms
- emotional and physical stress
DNA screening provides comprehensive information about your unique genetic profile to optimise your health. It’s all about personalisation. When we test the DNA, variations called SNPs found can affect the way cells function. E.g., if you have an SNP in numerous detoxification genes, you may need liver support compared to someone who doesn’t. You may also be more sensitive to chemicals. There are many genes that are tested, ones related to detoxification, mood health, the way nutrients are absorbed, fertility and more.
Some of the benefits of DNA testing include:
- Reduced diabetes risk
- Heart health and blood pressure regulation
- Healthier ageing
- Menopause support
- Hormonal balance
- Better sleeping patterns
- Decreased inflammation
- Increased energy and vitality
- Improved fertility
- Improved mental health
The test can be done in your initial consultation or follow up where Elizabeth will gather as much information as possible about all the factors that may affect your health. Using the data collected, you will then be provided with practical advice to help live in accordance with your genes.
DNA testing is an additional cost. Your DNA doesn’t change. The results you receive you will always have. It is a noninvasive swab test from the inside of your mouth. The swab is then sent to a lab and tested. You’ll receive a comprehensive report of your DNA.
For more information on how DNA may help you or for bookings please get in touch.
If you know your DNA you can actively reduce the risks associated with your SNPs. This is preventative health care.
Did you know?
- approximately 40% of all people carry an MTHFR SNP, putting them at higher risk for preventable heart disease, colon cancer, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease. Having the SNP also could have pregnancy complications (1) and affect fertility.
- people with MAO and COMT SNPs are predisposed to having too much adrenaline in the body. This means they are more susceptible to anxiety, worry and pain sensitivity.