Nutrient deficiencies are common and can be the cause of your symptoms. Nutritional medicine treats the body as a whole. It aims to not only improve your symptoms but to also get to the root of the matter. A nutrient deficiency can be corrected through improved diet and quality supplements.
The cause of a nutrient deficiency be attributed to poor diet, nutrient soil depleted, medications, digestion problems, alcohol, stress, gene mutations and increased need for a nutrient due to factors such as sickness, pregnancy or intense exercise. It can also be improved by treating another ailment that may be depleting your body of the nutrient in question. Below are some common nutrient deficiencies.
Common nutrient deficiencies include:
- Vitamin D: Deficiency is a risk factor for insulin resistance, cardiovascular disease, depression, anxiety, hormonal imbalances and immune dysfunction.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is involved in over 300 enzyme reactions across the body including the cardiovascular system, muscles, nervous system and GI tract. People who often suffer from muscles aches, insomnia, constipation, insulin resistance, headaches, fatigue plus much more can benefit from supplementation of magnesium.
- Essential fatty acids: Again another one that many people can benefit from either by correcting the diet or supplementation. Increased essential fatty acids can improve and prevent cardiovascular disease, psoriasis, cognitive disorders, depression, PMS, menopause symptoms and hormone imbalances.
- Zinc: Low zinc is associated with a poor immune function, lowered testosterone, hypochlorhydria, infections, anorexia, thyroid health problems, poor blood sugar regulation and mood disorders.
- B12: B12 is an important nutrient involved in the nervous system, cardiovascular system and immune system. Deficiency is associated with hypochlorhydria, fatigue, mood disorders, anemia, neurological problems, weakness, tingling sensation and shortness of breath.
Tests can be done to check your nutritional status according to your symptoms. Sometimes we think we are doing the right thing by supplementing through guess but you could be just wasting your money. Rather than guess speak to a qualified health practitioner. It could be simply a matter of using food as medicine and making some lifestyle changes to ensure your body isn’t being robbed of essential nutrients.
For an appointment to get your body in balance contact Elizabeth today.