Do you feel like you are doing everything right but the weight isn’t shifting? If you are, you are one of many who find weight loss to be a real battle. For some it can lead to a viscous cycle of restriction and then over indulging, and then guilt. The cycle then rolls on.
My biggest tip for fat loss is to focus on being healthy. By shifting your focus on the inside rather than the outside a lot of the anxiety around food disappears over time. The outside self catches up to the weight it is meant to be. The quicker you move your goals to long term health over fast fat loss solutions, the quicker your body will reach it’s healthy weight.
Here are some reasons why your weight may not be where you would like it to be:
- Your hormones are not balanced. Weight loss isn’t simply calories in vs calories out. If your hormones aren’t functioning correctly your fat loss goals may be much harder. Signs your hormones are not functioning well include depression, irregular periods, weight gain around the stomach and constant sickness.
- Your digestion system is not working adequately. You are what you absorb, not what you eat. Good gut health is essential. Probiotics and fish oils can help (but not just any, check with a professional). Some signs of inadequacy include skin rashes, IBS, constipation, diarrhoea and bloating.
- Your not getting enough vitamin D. If most of your time is indoors you are probably low in vitamin D which is an essential hormone. Yes, a hormone. Vitamin D is related to several metabolic processes and low vitamin D levels have been assosiated with insulin sensitivity problems. Get your vitamin D levels checked by a doctor.
- You don’t sleep enough. Sleep is up there as one as my biggest weight loss tips. Your body needs recovery to rebalance, repair and perform.
- You don’t move enough. You can’t go to the gym for 30 minutes and then do nothing for the remainder 23 1/2 hours. Movement is everything you do. Walking every day is a must for fat loss. Be honest with yourself. We all have time to go for a 20 to 30 minute walk. Walk to the shops instead of drive, take the stairs instead of the lift or walk after dinner instead of tv.
- You don’t eat that well. Again, be honest with yourself. Often people will say ‘but i eat well and i exercise’. But do you really?
- You eat a lot of meals out. When you buy your food out you don’t know exactly what is in it. You almost always will have more calories out than a home cooked meals. A simple weight loss tip can be bringing your lunch from home instead of buying it every day.
- You are not exercising effectively. Some types of exercise are better than others for weight loss. I’m for all types of exercise you enjoy, but remember what you may be doing may not be the most efficient for fat loss. For example, you won’t get a big calorie burn from doing pilates as opposed to doing a weight session with some high intensity cardio. Too much exercise can also hinder fat loss as it can be stressful to the body. Speak to a personal trainer to make the best use of your exercise time!
- You are scared of carboydrates. Carbs are essential for energy, brain function, digestion, mood and sleep. Carb restriction can cause havoc on your metabolism. It is about choosing the right types and the right amount for your goals.
- You are scared of good fats. Good fats are essential for our hormones and brain function. The better our body functions the better we can get to our weight loss goals!