- The follicular phase – day 1 (first day of bleeding) to day 14 (ovulation).
- The luteal phase – day 15 to day 28 (until next bleed).
Moving With The Moon Phases
- Phase 1 – dark moon or no moon – menstrual phase:
- With no moon and the shedding of the uterus, ie, the bleeding, energy is low. It is natural to want to retreat and stay indoors. It represents winter. The body wants more sleep at this time.
- This is the time to reflect, to go within. Reflect on the last month and let go of what isn’t serving you.
- It is about physically cleansing, bleeding, and purging emotionally.
- To honor this time, spend time alone, don’t plan any events to fall at this time, rest. You may ask your partner to take care of some of the chores, and de-load your workload at this time.
- Phase 2 – waxing moon – pre-ovulation phase:
- This is after menstruation has finished and is the lead up to ovulation, spring. Energy is building up as hormones are rising.
- The focus now is outward, you are driven, productive and focused.
- This time is a good period to get onto any challenging work, the ‘big tasks’.
- With exercise, you may want to go a bit harder, aim for the personal bests at this time.
- Phase 3 – full moon – ovulation:
- This is when a woman is fertile. With the full moon, it is summer, energy is high, and it is bright.
- Energy is still outward but there are more nurturing elements. The time to do any big cleans may be now.
- This time is about connecting to others, developing relationships and nurturing current relationships. It’s a great time to make a date, or treat yourself to something indulgent like a massage.
- Phase 4 – waning moon – premenstrual phase:
- This is when physical and emotional energy starts to decline, the autumn. Energy starts to shift inwards again as the moonlight becomes dark and empty.
- Creativity can be higher as well as intuition. Perhaps if you have been sitting on the fence on something, now is the time to tune into what you need to do.
- This is the time for less logical work and more creativity. It’s a time for self-care, to relax, let emotions calm, read a book and have a long bath.
- With exercise, you may want to opt for gentle yoga practices and leave the high-intensity training to the led up to ovulation.
Trust the body’s wisdom. It knows everything you need to know.